Friday, December 11, 2020

Albums of the Decade - 21. The National - Trouble Will Find Me (2013)

 21. THE NATIONAL TROUBLE WILL FIND ME (2013) 

When I was studying to be a teacher in Budapest, the prequel to this album -  High Violet  - came out and I was mesmerised; at 26 years old I felt the songs directly mirrored my ascent into my prime.

When Trouble Will Find Me came out at 29 I felt I was continuing my ascent, but maybe was on the cusp of falling apart, living in Taiwan, before my new ascent a bit later; like the title of the album confirms - this band kind of bookmark my time alert -  and there's nothing more to say,

There are so many fucking avenues to go down with this chestnut. You can roast them - one avenue. You can reverse-griddle them; another. You can put on your combat boots and fry me a night out - one option. Or act all circumspect and leave me stranded in the hypermarket, holding my boxes alone - another.




No comments: