Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Records of 2010 - 40. DJ Roc - The Crack Capone

Records of 2010 - 40. DJ Roc - The Crack Capone

Apparently this record has annoyed the shit out of some people. B. McGhee of Tiny Mix Tapes says:

"I have resorted to my usual devices: sitting in my living room and playing these tracks for my friends, watching their faces scrunch up with a strange mixture of bewilderment and disgust. Usually after a minute or so of cognitive dissonance, they are ready for me to switch the playlist back to Sufjan or Flying Lotus or whatever else I was listening to."

I think this is best played to yourself. It takes the violence of hip-hop and throws in the sensibilities of house music. It's highly de-constructive and is all the better for it. "The Crack Capone" has all the dirty, meaty production of an erm.. dirty, meaty, meat factory. Packaged ghetto house. Ghetto for the head, sans the annoying thuggery bullshit. Better than a bullet to the heart!

No comments: